Site Evaluation Summary

During the OBGYN rotation, I presented three full history and physicals, ten pharm cards, and an article and summary pertaining to an H&P. My first H&P focused on a patient presenting to labor and delivery triage. The patient complained of signs and symptoms of pre-eclampsia and reported a history of pre-eclampsia in a previous pregnancy. The history and physical focused on assessment for features of pre-eclampsia, such as elevated blood pressure, proteinuria, vision changes, and abdominal pain. Writing up this particular patient presentation was a great review of the pathology of pre-eclampsia as well as the diagnostic work-up and treatment. The next H&P focused on a patient presenting with signs and symptoms of a sexually transmitted disease that turned out to be Chlamydia on follow-up. I wanted to write up that patient presentation as differentiating between the many signs and symptoms and diagnosing a specific STI can sometimes be challenging. My last H&P focused on a patient complaining of symptoms of pelvic prolapse. Upon exam, the patient did not have a significant prolapse, but the experience was nonetheless a great review of the different types of prolapse possible and various treatments available.

I presented ten pharm cards based on the medications I saw prescribed and administered in both the gynecological clinic as well as in labor and delivery. Researching the contraindications and adverse effects was especially crucial in this setting, as many medications have strict guidelines pertaining to gestational age or concomitant medical conditions. The mechanisms of action of many medications were also interesting, as various medications were useful in a variety of indications depending on the desired goal, while being contraindicated in other situations due to their mechanism of action.

Lastly, I presented an article about a study researching the optimal time for antiplatelet administration for prevention of pre-eclampsia. This article pertained the first H&P I presented on a patient presenting to labor and delivery triage for rule out of pre-eclampsia. I was interested in this topic, as different providers had explained their rationale for different timelines of administration of aspirin when asked about this same question in the labor and delivery department. I learned about the optimal window for prophylaxis, effect on prevention of pre-eclampsia, and how prophylaxis impacted the pregnancy, mother, and fetus.